Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Breath Taking Moments


There is nothing like waking up to goose-bump good news. The moment Barack Obama was elected it was like the world changed forever. It was a moment in time that needed to be stored. Interning at the International Herald Tribune in Paris at the time, it allowed me as an Australian to appreciate the experience on an entirely uplifting and unique level. I was surrounded by Barack Obama loving Americans. It's not often that news breaks which sends Reporters, Journalists, Copy Editors and Bureau Chiefs into complete and utter bubbling excitement.

In an attempt to treasure this moment, I had the newspapers from this historic day framed. One day when I'm old and gray they'll hang on the walls in my study and I'll say to my grandchildren "I was working on that paper the day the world changed forever!"

A couple of days ago I was looking through my diary from my first few days at the International Herald Tribune. I thought I'd include a snippet below.


"Entering The International Herald Tribune, on first glance is like entering a home of aging geriatrics. Grey haired men, with slopping bifocals are hunched over their computers, tapping away on keys like their life depends on it. One particularly old man with a protruding bump on his bald head - sits in the corner, coughing loudly. I’m waiting for a nurse to pop out of a door and bring him his medication. But, this I discover is not rare here at the IHT. Through the summer months of July to September, ‘Summer Soldiers’, retired employees from the New York Times voyage over and work at Parisian head quarters, while the ‘usual suspects’ take vacation.Over my couple of weeks here at IHT, I have come to adore these old men. They bring a rich journalistic history to the paper, which I probably wouldn’t have been privy to otherwise. Nor, would I find a younger editor with the time to tell me the stories these men share. One of my favorites is Irv Molotsky, an endearing man in his mid-70’s, who reminds me of Mr Beaver from the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Irv gushes with delight when I come to give him the paper ‘dummies’. He’s been retired for 12 years, and been a ‘Summer Soldier’ for most of that time. A visit to him downstairs is like a trip back in time, hearing snippets about journalism life as a young man in New York city. But IHT isn’t all about octogenarians and random observations like the A4 size picture of George Clooney on the notice board reading the International Herald Tribune on his yacht in the South of France. It’s an experience like no other – a learning curve so high that I’m scared to jump off. With each day, new surprises and circumstances arise – they hit me like a hurricane, with just enough time to stand up and recover, there is already something new to learn. With barely enough time to catch my breath, I’m on the next stage of my 6-month internship here. Each day starts out at 3.30pm with half an hour to get prepared for the official news meeting for the day. This meeting pretty much determines what the paper will be producing over the next 5 hours. May I add the tightest deadline I have ever had to work to. The meeting starts with Marty Gottlieb (usually) giving an encouraging speech and raising the moral of the team. I’ve sat in on a few news meeting rooms before, but I have never seen a Global Editor like this who has such respect and admiration for the people he is managing. The feelings are obviously mutual. I noticed this when recently one of the News Editors retired and throughout his farewell speech he kept glancing at Marty and tears where in his eyes. Marty is warm, friendly and a quintessential New York Editor. He comes to work every day looking like he's walked out of the film All the President’s Men. He makes the perfect team, working along side Alison Smale, the Editor. She was declared by the Times as one of the most influential Editors in Europe. Her experiences as a journalist are unbelieveable and ore inspiring. Her resume spans the documentation of the fall of Communism in the Soviet bloc and the Czechoslovakian revolution that made Vaclav Havel president, to name just a few. Just being in these offices is special, from seeing how the pages are churned out and from watching how last minute changes can determine an increase in sales for that day. It’s exciting, yet raw and real. Although I have not had the opportunity (nor the time) to write (yet), I feel that I am in the right place and stand in good stead for when the time is right. There are parts of the web, which interns are encouraged to contribute to and the younger employees (yes – there are some!) are really helpful and optimistic. It’s great to be in a place that really has its finger on the pulse and some of the best writers/editors in the world working for it."


** I eventually wrote for the IHT and now freelance for the New York Times - yay!

*** The newspapers were framed in Sydney by Alex Holden (www.funktionpictureframing.com) who was lovely to work with and professional. Plus very reasonable! Thanks Alex.


No comments:

Post a Comment